1. Open to students enrolled on a BA and MA courses, for the duration of the competition or who are to complete their course in 2024, at universities and academic institutions in the UK (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) and Ireland aged 18 and over, except employees and freelancers working for Thames & Hudson Ltd and their immediate families. Thames & Hudson Ltd reserves the right to require any participant to prove they are eligible to participate in the Thames & Hudson Award for Book Design (‘the competition’).
2. If a student ceases to be enrolled at their respective university/academic institution during the duration of the competition they shall become ineligible, except those who completed their course in 2024.
3. The universities and academic institutions shall be responsible for selecting up to 10 student entries for each of the competition categories. All selected student entries must be complete and submitted by the universities and academic institutions as PDF files to email@example.com in one WeTransfer/OneDrive/Dropbox or similar link per university/academic institution with the file title formulated as ‘UniversityX_01’, by no later than midnight on 29 February 2024 (‘the Closing Date’).
4. Entries submitted individually or received after the Closing Date will not be considered.
5. All initial entries should be anonymous. The university/academic institutions will give each entry it submits a unique number as a means of identification. Any initial entries received with students’ names will be disqualified.
6. Universities and academic institutions may enter the same student in multiple categories but only one entry per student per category.
7. 5 entries per category will be selected by Thames & Hudson Ltd for the shortlist. All short-listed entries will receive feedback from Thames & Hudson Ltd via their respective university/academic institution. The short-listed entries will be selected from all complete and eligible initial entries.
8. The short-listed students will then submit their final designs, via their respective university/academic institution, to firstname.lastname@example.org, by midnight on 10 May 2024 (‘the Final Closing Date’). Final designs received after the Final Closing Date will not be considered. The universities/academic institutions should identify each of the final designs using the student’s name by using the file title formulated as ‘UniversityX_Firstname_Surname’.
9. There will be 4 winners and 4 highly commended students per category, plus one overall winner of the Thames & Hudson Award for Book Design, chosen from the final designs. The decisions will be made by a panel of leading design industry professionals selected by Thames & Hudson Ltd.
10. The category winners and high commended students will be notified via their university/academic institution in advance of the award ceremony.
11. Entrants who have not won or been selected as highly commended will not receive notification from Thames & Hudson Ltd.
Prizes and Award Ceremony:
12. The 4 category winners will receive a certificate, as well as a monetary prize of £100 (or Euro equivalent), and £150 worth of Thames & Hudson books (together ‘the Prize’). The books must be selected by the winners within 3 months of the Award Ceremony and will be dispatched to one UK address per winner free of charge.
13. The highly commended students will each receive a certificate and a monetary prize of £50 (or Euro equivalent), and £100 worth of Thames & Hudson books. The books must be selected by the winners within 3 months of the Award Ceremony and will be dispatched to one UK address per winner free of charge.
14. The overall winner will receive the Prize, plus a Pantone set and a voucher from a font foundry to the value of £500 (or Euro equivalent), as well as an additional monetary prize of £400 (or Euro equivalent).
15. All short-listed students, including category winners and highly commended students, will have the opportunity to attend the award ceremony with one guest, and the respective universities/academic institutions may send
16. The Prize and additional prize set out in point 14, are non-negotiable, non-transferable and non-refundable.
No alternative is available.
17. Thames & Hudson Ltd reserves the right (but is not obliged) to substitute an alternative to the Prize and/or additional prize set out in point 14, which is of equal or greater value should it deem this to be necessary.
18. In the event that any of the winners and highly commended students choose not to or are not able, for any reason, to attend the Award Ceremony to take receipt of their prize, their prize will be dispatched to one nominated UK/Irish address free of charge.
19. Thames & Hudson Ltd reserves the right to terminate or withdraw this offer at any time.
20. By entering into the competition, the students, universities and academic institutions grant Thames & Hudson Ltd permission to:
a. use entries, in whole or in part, to promote the competition in any media, including on Thames & Hudson Ltd’s websites and social media platforms;
b. Short-listed students may be identified by name, course and university/academic institution during the promotion of the competition;
c. exhibit the short-listed and final designs, at Thames & Hudson’s discretion, at the award ceremony and before and after for the purpose of promoting the competition.
21. The students, universities and academic institutions agree to keep confidential the names of short-listed, winning and highly commended students and their respective designs prior to Thames & Hudson Ltd’s official announcements.
22. The students, universities and academic institutions must not make any use of the briefs or materials provided by Thames & Hudson Ltd other than for the purpose of entering the competition.
23. The students, universities and academic institutions shall not input any of the briefs or material provided by Thames & Hudson Ltd to any AI platforms.
24. All entries must be the individual student’s own original work. Collaborations with other students or third parties will not be eligible.
25. The students or their respective university/academic institution, as applicable, will retain copyright in the design concepts submitted for the competition but shall have no rights in the briefs or materials.
26. Entries that do not comply in full with the entry requirements and/or these terms and conditions will be disqualified.
27. Thames & Hudson Ltd takes no responsibility for any initial entries or final designs delayed, mis-directed, incomplete or lost due to technical reasons or otherwise. Entries made through agents, third parties, organised groups or any entry duplication method will not be accepted.
28. All entries must fulfil all of the entry requirements.
29. The shortlist, winners and highly commended students will be selected by Thames & Hudson Ltd and/or the panel (as stated) from all complete and eligible entries.
30. Thames & Hudson Ltd’s decision and/or that of the panel is final. Thames & Hudson Ltd and the panel members will not enter into correspondence regarding the choice of short-listed entries, winners or highly commended students.
31. Thames & Hudson Ltd may amend these terms and conditions by posting changes to them on its website.
32. The competition shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales.