Written by a leading authority on the subject of patination, this volume is both an inspirational resource and a much-needed practical guide. This all-skill-level book is clearly organized by metal and then arranged by colour. Each recipe is illustrated so you can see the final effect, and many feature non-hazardous materials. Step-by-step sequences walk the beginner through each process.
There are scores of possible effects and many variables: Matthew Runfola chooses the most beautiful and arresting, and selects for inclusion pieces by a range of leading artisans, working on exquisite pieces of jewelry or small-scale metal sculptures. All artists will draw inspiration from the range of work shown here.
• More than 300 coloration techniques are shown on a variety of metals, including copper, brass, bronze, silver, stainless steel, steel and aluminium.
• Explore application techniques, including immersion, brush application, spraying, fuming, layering, the use of resists, hot and cold applications, and more.
• Learn the durability of patinas and how different metals react to different treatments so you can determine what is right for your own work.
• Understand important safety information including handling and disposing of hazardous or corrosive materials correctly, proper ventilation, setting up a workspace and creating a toolbox.
• Advance your patination skills as you work from beginner-friendly to more advanced surface-treatment techniques.
'An encyclopaedia of beautiful colours and patterns all achievable on steel, copper, silver, bronze and more … the colourant formulas and patination directory make it excellent for reference - there is a wealth of information and exciting prospects packed in for designers to glean from'
'An inspirational resource'