Design Lead, Children’s Publishing
We are looking for an experienced children’s book designer with a strong creative streak and a high level of proficiency in Adobe inDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, to work on our award-winning list. You’ll collaborate closely with our talented roster of illustrators and build upon this by seeking out the very best in contemporary illustration.
Working across a wide range of subjects including art, history, fashion, science and natural history, you’ll produce concepts for illustrated non-fiction, picture books and novelty titles for ages 3 to 12 years that are both highly commercial and visually stunning. As well as designing your own titles and briefing illustrators, alongside the Children’s Art Director you will manage freelance and inhouse designers and provide guidance on layouts and cover designs in progress.
This is an ideal role for a designer or senior designer who has solid experience in children’s publishing creating eye-catching and innovative design concepts from scratch that stand out in a competitive market.
- Conceive and implement design concepts for complex book projects that are visually exciting, inclusive and accessible, including but not limited to all of the following:
Design development – working with the Commissioning and Sales & Marketing teams to come up with design solutions appropriate for the market & audience of the book, including ideas for spin-off products based on existing IP.
Typographic design – Strong characterful text designs appropriate to the subject matter, reader and the physical properties of the book.
Design and layout – to give structure to the book and ensure clarity for the reader
Cover and jacket design – to stand out/ensure visibility in a competitive market, including online and instore.
- Ensure a ‘wow factor’ & visual consistency throughout each project
- Provide design briefing and feedback to illustrators, in-house designers and freelance designers
- Keep abreast of (and ahead of) the latest design and visual trends in the children’s arena (not only publishing but also popular culture and retail)
- Scout for book and cover designers, illustrators and other creatives who have a diversity of experience and perspectives useful for T&H’s activities
To apply please send a covering letter, CV, details of your current salary and recent examples of your work to Alice Craddock, HR: firstname.lastname@example.org