Intern, Design Department
– Full time, six-month contract
– Salary: £20,829 pro rata
– Central London (office based)
– Closing date: Sunday 9 October
Thames & Hudson is the leading global publisher of illustrated books on the visual arts, history and popular culture (www.thamesandhudson.com). We are offering an opportunity for a bright, creative and resourceful student or recent graduate to join our design department and gain a valuable insight into the processes of illustrated publishing.
This is a busy, varied position that will give you the opportunity to shadow and assist in the design, concept development and proofing stages of the book production process. Among other tasks, you will be:
– Designing new and, artworking, existing covers
– Typesetting and layout of books and covers
– Creating PDFs and presentations
– Checking and correcting printed proofs
– Artworking files and creating digital mock-ups
– Day-to-day assistance for the design department
Knowledge, skills and experience
– A demonstrable interest in and knowledge of the visual arts and culture
– Particular interest in illustrated book publishing is highly desirable
– A passion for typography and contemporary graphic design practice
– A graphic or communication design related degree, or currently studying towards one
– Reliable, enthusiastic and conscientious
– Self-motivated with the ability to work with others flexibly
– Ability to prioritise
– Great attention to detail
– Excellent communication skills, in both verbal and written English
– Good working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite especially inDesign and Photoshop
– Some experience of Microsoft Office
This is an exciting chance to work on a wide variety of beautiful and innovative projects and to gain invaluable experience and understanding of all aspects of the publishing process, from initial proposals to printed books.
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
At Thames & Hudson, we believe that employing a diverse workforce is essential to succeed and selection decisions are based on applicants’ experience and skills. We welcome applications from everyone, irrespective of age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, race, religion or belief.
Some of the benefits of working with us:
Apart from working with a highly talented and creative group of people, we offer:
· 28 days holiday plus bank holidays
· Interest free loan for rent deposit or season travel ticket
· Discounts off our lovely T&H books and co-editions
· Cycle to Work Scheme
· Film Club
To apply, please send your CV with a covering letter (250 words) outlining how you meet the requirements above and 5 examples of your recent work in one PDF to Sophie Castle, firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is Sunday 9 October 2022.