• Wide-ranging topics include Hindu myths and legends, temple architecture, festivals, astrology, Ayurvedic medicine and contemporary Hinduism
• Maps provide easy reference to major cities, regions, rivers, mountains and pilgrimage sites
• List of principal dynasties and empires gives cultural, religious and historical background
• Reference material includes Sanskrit equivalents of English-language subjects
• Chronology places the main historical events and literary works
• Specially researched illustrations, including works of art reproduced here for the first time, reveal the rich imagery of sculpture, architecture, painting, dance and theatre
'Compact, well-edited and well-illustrated'